Sunday 31 December 2017

Being Selected

Hey everybody!
Now usually I don't read modern romance novels- I'm more of a classic type, but today I'll be reviewing The Selection series by Kiera Cass.
Image result for selection seriesThe Selection takes place in the future, in a dystopian world where the society is divided into castes. America, the main character is a Five, an artist. When the Selection is announced, America's mother expects her to compete. The Selection is a competition where girls compete for the hand of the nation's prince, Maxon Schreave. But America doesn't want to compete- she thinks she's in love with her secret boyfriend, Aspen.
But, to her surprise, she is chosen and is thrust into a competition she wants no part in- she just wants to go home.
The premise sounds familiar? If you think so, you're correct. The premise, to me, feels like a cross of the Hunger Games and the TV show The Bachelor, which I have never actually watched but have heard of and know the premise of.
A bond develops between Maxon and America- and then Aspen is thrust in the middle of the competition- and America has no idea what to choose. And in the background, conflict is brewing and rebels are rising- they want the system to be changed...
Image result for selection seriesThe book is predictable, and while the story was enough for one or two books, the author stretched it into three books- therefore there was a lot of time in the book spent doing nothing. I felt like the whole rebel conflict was pointless. The story could have just been a sweet love story instead of having an unnecessary conflict at the end that didn't mean much to the story anyway. It's not like much was done about this conflict at the end, so it felt extra. I would have also liked more description- I couldn't picture the castle properly in my head, but there was way too much description about makeup and dresses. There were also some places where I felt that there was no logic at all.
That said, if you want to read The Selection series, don't expect too much or use too much logic and think of it as what people call 'fluff.' Then it will be more enjoyable.
The books in the original Selection series are The Selection, The Elite and The One. There is also a collection of short stories of what happened after the series published in the book Happily Ever After. The writing is clear, definitely not flowery.
There is also another series based on America's daughter, but I'll leave that review for another day.
I recommend The Selection for ages 12 and above.
Well, I've finished my goal for this year- to write 18 book reviews. Yay! Anyway- happy new year to all of you, and I can't wait to see you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting!